Victoria Street Medical Group Sexual Health Check (STI Test)

An STI test checks whether you have a sexually transmitted infection (STI). It is quick and painless. It’s really important to have an STI test even if you don’t have any symptoms.

Who should have an STI test?

If you are having sex, then you should have regular STI tests. If you have any symptoms or are worried about your sexual health, then arrange a test straight away with your doctor or sexual health clinic.

It’s a good idea to have an STI test if:

  • you think you might have an STI
  • you have had unprotected sex, that is, sex without a condom or dam, including vaginal, oral or anal sex
  • you have had a condom break or it has fallen off during sex (also see emergency contraception)
  • your partner has another sexual partner or has had previous sexual partners
  • you have shared injecting equipment
  • you are starting a new sexual relationship.

Do I need a Medicare card?

A STI Check will be bulk billed with no out of pocket cost for Medicare card holder. International students having OSHC with ALLIANZ, BUPA, AHM, NIB and IMAN will have no out of pocket costs.

A person 15 years and over can get their own Medicare card. To get one go to a Medicare office with identification and complete a form.

Click for information about Sexually Transmitted Infections at the MSHC.

What happens during an STI test?

You will be seen by a doctor who will ask a few questions about your sexual history. This is important as it will assess your level of risk. Some of these questions may include;

  • your sexual orientation (e.g. straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual)
  • number of sexual partners
  • sexual practices
  • whether you have any symptoms
  • whether you have injected drugs
  • whether you have any tattoos or body piercings.

This information is kept confidential.
This is also a good opportunity for you to ask any questions about sexual health.

After taking a history the doctor may undertake an inspection/examination.

The following tests might be done for males:

  • Taking a first catch urine sample

The following tests might be done for females:

  • Vaginal swabs. A long cotton bud takes a sample of vaginal secretions. If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can do this yourself.
  • Taking a first catch urine sample

Some STIs, such as hepatitis, syphilis and HIV, require a sample of blood taken from the arm. If you have had unprotected oral or anal sex, a throat swab or self-collected anal swab may be required.

Getting the results

Test results normally take about one week. If your result is positive, sexual partners also need to be tested and treated. This is called contact tracing. Otherwise you could keep re-infecting each other. Sometimes people with symptoms of an STI may be treated before the test results are back.  Click for information about how to tell your partner/s.


Your GP will start treatment after discussing your results with you. The treatment plan must be followed appropriately, it may involve telling your partner, possibly a period of abstinence, tablet or injection with antibiotics and in some cases a follow up test to check cure.